Thread: MOP opinions.
View Single Post
12-06-12, 08:11 AM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's very hard to give an opinion that even remotely approaches objectivity.
A few millions of players bought it so I guess it was worth it for them.

My own very subjective opinion as an old player (have been playing without extended breaks since Aug. 05') would lean to 'no' (I'd probably have quit in Cataclysm truth be told if I wasn't involved with addon development, that's like a meta-game on top of the actual game that keeps it interesting)

But I can't really say what part of that is the game somehow changing for the worse or me just outgrowing it after all this time.

I can say that for a new player it's probably the best it has ever been (not sure how it stacks up against the competition for someone looking to pickup a new MMO that has no 'history' and social ties in WoW at all).
Compared to itself, it's more polished, streamlined and full of content than it ever was.

In my personal opinion and despite the above, it also lacks character and direction, trying to do too many things and be too many games at the same time, not all of which fit together.
There's also a distinct lack of attention to managing social interactions which degrades the community of the game.
I want to be clear on this I don't mean that the people playing WoW somehow got worse over time, I think it's always been a mix of players you can get along with and obnoxious types.
However gaming companies take steps to moderate that social environment both passively (through in-game mechanics, like loot rules, mob and resource tapping etc) and actively (through GM intervention where needed).

Over the last 2 expansions there have been alot of new features implemented in the "group play" department that tend to fragment communities with little to no countermeasures added to offset that.
Basically griefers get free reign while decent community oriented people can only 'retreat' to their guilds and friend circle and avoid the general populace.

As it happens I also take issue with changes to my favorite class of many years (warrior tank)
I've adjusted to alot of changes over expansions but never to this day felt that they pulled out the engine of the class.
It's now a hunter/shaman combo wearing plate, with a focus bar painted red and called 'rage', with totems called banners (fun fact: /run DestroyTotem(1) cancels your dropped warrior banner... talk about cross-class re-use...)
I liked the re-active and hectic nature of the gameplay, it's now all pre-planning and fighting your own resources.

TL;DR. Game systems are at their best, content is abundant, character is lacking (for me).

Last edited by Dridzt : 12-06-12 at 04:29 PM.