View Single Post
06-18-08, 09:25 AM   #7
Brem
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post
Designing a layout takes a lot more than work than you'd expect. It's a pain trying to be consistent in philosophy, making sure the layout works for any talent spec, which is surprisingly challenging, and have some affordances for mid-level characters (some layouts will change order depending on spells you have learned so far). More importantly, for most classes, you have to 3 different versions, one for each aspect ratio.

I know that people have a natural inclination to want to submit their own personal favorite layout, but unless you put some work into it, it's probably not general enough to be used. For a long time, I had a way for people to submit layouts. I almost NEVER got ones that were useable. In all that time, I think I ended up using only one long-term, and that was Joypunk's warrior layout.
Let me second what Mazzle just said. Wow this is a ton of work. I worked for a very long time (probably 10 or more hours) on a single aspect ratio layout for priests. I ended up trashing it as I couldn't make it work exactly right. However, the time sink is really making it general enough to be usable by any spec. Priests are, of course, even harder to work out because of priest racials. That said, this desperately needs to be done, but this is a non-trivial exercise.

-----------------
MazzleUI Beta Tester