View Single Post
03-18-15, 02:11 AM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
I discovered your issues. Your running WoW via Wine. So here's a couple answers from my experience using wine on archlinux.

A) Don't bother with curse client on wine. I've never gotten it working, however minion does but even then it's easier just to manually install the addons.
One of the things I love about Linux is that the file managers (Nautilus, Thunar, Dolphin) could be customized. This includes putting shortcuts to folders in your sidebar which makes the manual extraction process of AddOns easy. Just unpack, then drag and drop the files onto your AddOns short cut. Microsoft has the same thing in Explorer now, however I prefer the behavior of Thunar (my file manager of choice on Linux)

E) Thats because while there is a blizz dev working to make the game run on Wine that doesn't mean the game is ment tio be run on wine. I have a wimilar issue on my 3rd gen i5 desktop where I only get 30fps while windows I get 90+ regardless of wine version. You could try running the opengl graphics rather than directx if your not already doing so (windows users with fps issues can try this as well). You could also try the recommended performance tweaks in wine as well. (yes link sare to archlinux wiki but this is general info for WoW and WINE)
/agreed. It's best to use OpenGL when playing any game on Linux if the game supports it as OpenGL is the native gfx API for 'nix based systems like Linux and OS X. For those running Ubuntu, there are some threads kicking around the community forums regarding running WoW on Ubuntu however I don't have links to them handy.

Opera's support for Linux is.... just plain bad. Chrome runs fine if your against using chrome use chromium its open source sister. Alternatively curse.com load fine in firefox, iceweasel, qupzilla, and vivaldi

Or run curse from elinks. Yes it works.
The current version of Opera is nothing more than a repackaged Chromium (like so many other WebKit/Blink based browsers) build and is slowly dying. At this point, you are better off dumping Opera and going straight to Chrome/Chromium or another browser like Firefox. I have been playing with Vivaldi and it shows great promise though it still early days. Then again I don't mind being an alpha/beta tester.