View Single Post
05-12-09, 05:55 PM   #166
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by djrajir View Post
Sorry i didn't read part b of #7.

Somehow I still dont see curse going along with this. I hope they do but we shall see.
Let's have another look at that clause shall we

Originally Posted by Our Illustrous Site Admin , Cairenn View Post
7. But, isn’t that what you guys were complaining about with WowMatrix in the first place? That they were downloading from your site without your permission?

No, the difference here is that:
a) they (whatever site) will be writing the module themselves; and
b) they will be able to show their own ads & respect their Premium/Non-Premium membership restrictions, etc when a user is on their tab.
I Pasted that here just to be clear to people following this thread.

Curse are perfectly welcome to do this. They'll probably make it just like the free curse client not the premium. I don't think they're not going to offer the "update all" feature free to people who download and install Mini-onion (sorry Shirak cant spell that other one).

I'm not sure if you still believe the greed angle but It's not about greed. It's about business. Both sites to stay alive need to make money. Servers don't run on sunshine and rainbows. There are costs involved. Some of these are quite large (Curses projected bandwidth bill for the month the patch come out == over $75,000 , $100,000 for server upgrades)

Personally for me I see it as another way of supporting the sites through me donating my money. . If my $$/month keeps my favourite addon sites open a little bit longer than by gum ! My hand is going for that secret place I have my credit card!

An updater client is a nice tool but it's not the be all and end all of updating methods. Updating manually is not the hard ardous time consuming process people think it is. You don't need to be downloading every single addon update there is every single day. Once you move out to say once per week or once every two weeks you'll see that the addon sites really don't have to make an alternative solution : it's a task you're not going to be doing that often so it really doesn't matter how you do it.

Granted an updater client does make the whole process simplier and quicker particularly the neophyte user. But that's not to imply that without that tool you couldn't keep yourself updated regularly with a minimus of fuss and bother

Oh dear another verbose response.Maybe I should change my avatar rank to something a bit more descriptive then "A delicate , unique snowflake"... Maybe "has verbal diarehha" or "about to be shot for extreme verbosity" or "has an inability to be brief".
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)