View Single Post
02-01-19, 12:38 PM   #12
Terenna
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Update to this project. I have written the entire addon utilizing the filter method for every chat event. Everything works well, and I've optimized it, commented, cleaned it up as best as possible. I am running into a small issue. Addons and some blizzard system events utilize the AddMessage function. They add their messsages into the chatframe without passing a CHAT_MSG_xyz event, thereby rendering my addon unable to add a timeStamp in front of the text.

As far as I have read, the only way to add a timeStamp in front of ALL messages is to override the AddMessage function and replace it with an AddMessage function that adds the timeStamp. This, however, causes taint, the entire reason I spent all this time writing a new chat addon.

Is there another way one can add timeStamps to lines added to chat by AddMessage calls that addons and blizzard sometimes uses (think GMOTD, Loot Specialization: xyz messages when you log in)? I have tried hooking the AddMessage function of ChatMessage1, but that just results in a copy. If there was a way to remove the previous line of Chat if it did not start with a timeStamp, that would be ideal, but I haven't found a way the API could support that.

Thank you.