Thread: Carbonite 5.04
View Single Post
09-04-12, 04:19 PM   #249
scubadiver59
A Murloc Raider
Who knows if the Authors are still playing the game or are even interested; I would hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Since you only "donate" to Carbonite developers, you aren't paying for a program, service, etc. What you are doing it providing them with money to host their website and provide a platform from which they can present their work. If they get more than what's necessary to support their site, so be it. At least they don't inundate me with advertisements, links, etc. I've given to them at least once, if not twice, and will again if it helps them continue to provide this program--it's the bomb!

Most of the addons are offered and protected under the GPL licensing system; as such, they are public domain, open for modification, hacking (not cracking!), etc. to improve the program. Hence, we have this very nice user-modified version. I haven't looked at the internals of Carbonite yet, but if they follow the rest WoW addon developer mentality then this addon is also protected under the GPL. After all, you can't sell addons for profit due to Blizzard's rules so it would be counter-intuitive to patent this game or protect it under some obscure copyright protection.

Finally, regarding your last point, and the first part of this reply, it would be nice if the Carbonite developers would open up and let us know what they are up to. At the very least, it would put a lot of rumors to rest one way or another.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by scorpionjs View Post
What do we need to do to get a 1 minute post from the authors of this add-on? Sure, they are busy, just like I am, but the information they need to provide is very simple: 1. Yes, we are working on an update. 2. No, we are not working on an update. 3. We are still deciding whether or not we will be able to support this add-on.

Many of us pay for Curse premium and are thus paying at least something for these add-ons. I believe that's worth at least one minute of their time to make an announcement.

If this add-on has copyright laws and the author doesn't wish to relinquish control over to anyone, that also needs to be announced before good samaritans find themselves entangled in legal issues.

I really like the Carbonite add-on for the google earth style maps and the quest handling. Few addons are as accurate with the quest arrows, the main competitor for my taste is wow-pro which is also currently broken. The blizz tracker and map is still not up to snuff.

So, in the end, I would like to see the original authors update this addon, or relinquish the controls to a team with time. What I think I deserve as a paying customer is at least a minute's worth of time to make a formal statement. I don't believe that's asking too much of anyone.