View Single Post
10-18-15, 11:12 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by thetravellor View Post
Oh and for goodness font 6? Fix that too. It is unreadable on modern hi-res monitors.
I've tried to be a bit more... politic... about this, but yes, it's quite ridiculous. Sadly, Blizzard themselves are not much better, with the Battle.net desktop app itself being almost as bad; the font there isn't any bigger, but at least it has better contrast with the background color so it's slightly more readable.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
And which of these is newer? 2.9 or 2.10? How about 2.09 and 2.10? 2.9a and 2.9b? 2.9-beta and 2.9? 2.9 beta and 2.9 release? 2.9 kitten eater and 2.9 stable? 2.9-18.10.15 and 2.9-19.10.15? Albatross-5 and Albatross-6? Can you use the same rule for each of these scenarios? The logic is QUITE complex, and can't possibly account for every possible scenario as an author can label their versions however they like.
Yes, there are some complexities, but most of those examples you gave are painfully simple (the only one that wouldn't be covered by a small set of basic software verisioning patterns would be "2.9 kitten eater vs 2.9 stable"), as are most of the mistakes in version comparison I've seen "live" in Minion itself.

I know developer time isn't unlimited, but the nearly imperceptible pace of development has been pretty disappointing. I fire up Minion every 6 months or so to test and try to give feedback in the hopes it will be helpful, but there's no way I could use it as my regular addon updater in its current state, even discounting the visual accessibility issues.