View Single Post
01-05-10, 11:47 AM   #15
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Unless you use only solar power, use only cash, have no recurring bills with any agency and so on or aka "off the grid" your name and info is stored in more places then you may think. All of which are obtainable through the same methods. As was stated earlier in the thread the police got a lucky break and followed it.

What really happened here is the person in question was stupid and got caught because of it. If this genius had used a credit card in his name the result would have been similar.

Sure there are millions of players with info stored in the blizzard servers. Then again ANY service with a central location and similar information is no different.

If your truly worried about some agency having access to your information then i suggest you go guerilla style and drop off the grid completely. Because any service that has your info is just a subpoena away from having to give it out.

Alternatively if you think this is a small step in a larger issue do something about it. Write to various privacy advocate groups, government officials and so on stating you feel this will snowball in to something bigger. Big things come from small events (thats in both directions folks). If your worried about this and do nothing to prevent it then your just blowing hot air.

Sorry to sound so hostile on the subject but i personally fail to see any bad here. I take it at face value that all procedures were followed in this matter. The methods used are nothing new. The only difference here is it was blizzard is involved. Who is to say that they haven't complied with a subpoena before and this one just happened to make the news?
I do see your point as far as company goes. Whether Blizz or a cell phone company doesn't matter I suppose in terms of an investigation. I suppose my main issue is the fact that in all reality drug dealing is something minor.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got kids too, save the argument.

A murderer? Child molester? Serial rapist? These things I can see going this far. A drug dealer? Seems pretty low in comparison and is where my argument stems from. Thus leading to the same question that everyone has been avoiding: how far will it go?
Think about that after the cops are knocking on your door to arrest you for that driving under suspension ticket you got 10 years ago in some other state you forgot about. Then, after released, you go to your favorite gaming site and find a story posted about how they turned your ass in. See if you share the same opinion then.