View Single Post
05-03-18, 01:25 PM   #15
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What Rilgamon said. Many long-delayed optimizations and expansive refactors create certain areas of (fairly unavoidable) usage-weaknesses. At a framework level, after refactors/redesigns, in a hand-shake environment there is a usage-optimization pass, looking at clustered function usage to create efficient (to use Rilgamon's term) 'shortcuts' which aid in coding, debugging, and long-term (and multi-person) maintenance -- the reason we write so many libraries -- but when there is a distinct performance issue (Lua vs C) there is an incentive to provide some of them at the most optimized layer; those helper-functions are a very minimal expense on the framework developer and improve the overall quality of products using the framework.

I mean, I can't believe someone looked at this and said "Yeah, that's a great idea! Huge usage improvement!"
Lua Code:
  1. C_Map.GetPlayerMapPosition(  C_Map.GetBestMapForUnit("player") , "player" )
Whatever other awesome things the mapping system might do (and I'm bloody grateful for the rewrite of the poor thing), this is a bit pants.

As the sage says:
Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
Still a few shortcuts could help