View Single Post
03-20-09, 08:40 PM   #37
Darkorical
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
WoWMatrix could care less if a mod author wants to allow them to offer their mod... they do it anyway even when asked not to by the author. So not using that service is not an option.
Ill grant you that one (we should find a way to start a boycott against them)

Secondly, if you're not on the major download sites, you don't have exposure or traffic and, therefore, are dead before you start. Period. You don't have the option to not have your mod auto-updated by the updaters at the major sites, so either you fail because no one sees your mod or you fail because of the updater.
dude you are nUI your users WILL find you. I don't care if you dropped every major site out there and put up a domain called JimmysUIhut.com they will find you (at least I'm pretty sure my wife would)

How do you propose I do that? Have my mod check every player you bump into to see if they're using my mod so I can tell you there's is newer than yours. Nope... can't do that... I haven't released it yet.

So... release an update to tell you I"m going to release an update? That's kind of expensive for the user and the download sites, and me to create the update to tell you there's going to be an update before there's an update.
I don't know how its done but I know Carbonite and WIM both have a way of doing it so I know its not impossible.

Flaw in the theory... why are they going to go to my site because I told them there was going to be an update that their auto-updater is going to get for them anyway? They'll just wait. And if they do go to the site, it'll be to get the update, not to donate. Or do I spam them to death on the site so that they don't bother coming back anymore?
go look up a vid called "Sony Releases Stupid Piece Of Sh** That Doesn't F**** Work"
most people will do just about anything for the newest and greatest version of something(especially that fancy UI that gets ooohs and ahhhs every time they post a screen shot.

a baseless conspiracy theory... mods do not even exist until well after the login process. It is not possible to capture account security data from a mod unless the player types it in open chat... in which case their security was already gone
you may be right about that but what about information gatherers there are several database mods that gather information and others that can log chat and several that can use that chat itself.
personally I have considered the idea of a mod that watched chat for key words and recorded their context. To do psychological studies on people who play wow. ie watching chat for "I'm married with X children" to get statistics on people with kids who play and that conversation is followed by the kids ages so I can get further demographics and such information might be worth money if sold to the proper data collection agencies who use such info to send spam and such.

so even if they aren't stealing your account they could still be doing bad things.

Quote:
personally Ill be ok with the changes as they are.
I'm not.
on several points I cant blame you. In ways I can defiantly see where you are getting the shaft. I mean your addon makes wow playable for many people if they were left with the default UI they'd leave and play something else. Blizzard is making the money from those subscriptions BECAUSE OF YOUR WORK and yet you cannot request any form of compensation other than an often obscured donation button.

Please don't get me wrong I cant blame anyone from getting upset but I don't think an in game donation button is that big of a deal I only knew of one mod that had it before this whole thing started and I went and looked I found out that SEVERAL of the ones I use have it and I never knew it.