View Single Post
07-12-13, 10:15 AM   #9
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would rather spend time on developing unique features then spend time of SEO and/or addon promotion. I think this goes for any service that people provide, if the service is good and you have unique selling points that work, your service or product will become popular over time anyway.

- Write some global documentation for your AddOn on your download page (if there's too much info, highlight the unique features and link to a documentation site). Make the documentation clear. Try to simplify grammar, because a lot of users do not have english as their primary language. In genral, try to make your descriptions and documentation "attractive to the eye". In other words, categorize your content with headings and/or descriptive images. Aside from that, if your addon contains configuration panels, be sure to include some way of "tooltips" ingame so people don't have to alt tab out of game to go to the addon page.

- Listen to your users feedback when you want to make your AddOn popular. When so much feedback is given, set up forums and/or bug tracking systems. Don't do this prematurely, people that are interested in your AddOn will frown upon empty forums. Start small, end big. Don't try to promote something in a way that expectations exceed what your AddOn can do.

In short, user opinion about your AddOn will always be more important then advertising.

If I would need to recommend someone based on their communication to wowinterface users and/or style of documentation, it would probably Phanx and/or zork. I'm currently using approximately 90% of her addons because, well, they just work, they are not complicated, and they have the features I want, and not a gazillion features I do not need.

Last edited by ravagernl : 07-12-13 at 10:53 AM.