View Single Post
07-26-07, 03:26 AM   #1
Detritus
A Cyclonian
Premium MazzleUI

I've got a few questions about the subscription Mazzle UI idea that Mazz threw out there last week. I want this to turn into a discussion about Mazzle UI's future not a copyright discussion so, for the purposes of this thread can we assume the following (quote for emphasis, I'm not quoting the short pink one here):
The premium/subscription Mazzle UI package will not contain work by any author other than Mazzlefizz. Any third-party mods will be downloaded seperately by the users of MazzleUI.
So, with that dealt with, there seem to be a reasonable number of people interested in a paid-for version of the UI, myself included. The main question I have is: what will I be getting for my money? Stripping out functionality provided by its constituent third-party mods, Mazzle UI offers:
- HUD.
- Auto-configuration/integration of a plethora of third-party mods.
- Centralised management/control over a large number of third-party mods.
- Consistent look/feel.
- Assured interoperability (Mazzle UI has been tested and all third-party mods play nicely together).
- Assured efficiency/performance (The mods being configured/managed by Mazzle UI are both efficient and performant).
[It's worth noting that the last two refer to quality control functions, not actual provision of third-party mods]

So, I get a mod that saves me a lot of time trolling UI mod sites to identify appropriate mods to perform a function. It will also save me a lot of time in setup/config and provides me with tools to make this easier. Mazzle UI selects efficient mods and consequently I have fewer connection/lag related issues (certainly I rarely experience the FPS/disconnection related issues that plague some of my more mod-heavy guild friends). That's pretty much what we have as a baseline for Mazzle. I've probably left some stuff out, I'd be interested to know if I have.

Now, that's what we have at the moment with Mazzle UI. What's on the feature/fix list for the subscription version? For the money ($5 - $10), I'd expect to be seeing new features rolled in each month. Things like replacement of DUF UI Frame configuration with Pitbull layout/configuration, for example. Refinement of the UI to provide more dramatically different layout options, like a minimal set of UI/Raid frames without models etc. (there's a thread about this elsewhere on the forums). Perhaps integration/configuration of Omen/Threat when it hits a release version (integration of threat bars into unit frames has got to be a good thing). I'm sure other people have similar wishlists...and I don't want to turn this into the "Suggestions" thread...just hoping for some indications from Mazzle as to where he'll be taking the UI in the future.

Last edited by Detritus : 07-26-07 at 03:29 AM.