View Single Post
07-26-07, 12:09 PM   #5
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Detritus
Stripping out functionality provided by its constituent third-party mods, Mazzle UI offers:
- HUD.
- Auto-configuration/integration of a plethora of third-party mods.
- Centralised management/control over a large number of third-party mods.
- Consistent look/feel.
- Assured interoperability (Mazzle UI has been tested and all third-party mods play nicely together).
- Assured efficiency/performance (The mods being configured/managed by Mazzle UI are both efficient and performant).
[It's worth noting that the last two refer to quality control functions, not actual provision of third-party mods]

So, I get a mod that saves me a lot of time trolling UI mod sites to identify appropriate mods to perform a function. It will also save me a lot of time in setup/config and provides me with tools to make this easier. Mazzle UI selects efficient mods and consequently I have fewer connection/lag related issues (certainly I rarely experience the FPS/disconnection related issues that plague some of my more mod-heavy guild friends). That's pretty much what we have as a baseline for Mazzle. I've probably left some stuff out, I'd be interested to know if I have.
Hmph! That is not a very complete list! You could have found far more stuff on the download page.

Originally Posted by Detritus
Now, that's what we have at the moment with Mazzle UI. What's on the feature/fix list for the subscription version? For the money ($5 - $10), I'd expect to be seeing new features rolled in each month. Things like replacement of DUF UI Frame configuration with Pitbull layout/configuration, for example. Refinement of the UI to provide more dramatically different layout options, like a minimal set of UI/Raid frames without models etc. (there's a thread about this elsewhere on the forums). Perhaps integration/configuration of Omen/Threat when it hits a release version (integration of threat bars into unit frames has got to be a good thing). I'm sure other people have similar wishlists...and I don't want to turn this into the "Suggestions" thread...just hoping for some indications from Mazzle as to where he'll be taking the UI in the future.
If successful, I'd expect to add far stuff far more frequently and regularly than I have been, especially since things are relatively bug-free atm. I'd also expect the things I choose to be more request-driven than mazzle-decision-driven, since I would be doing this solely for the people subscribing and not because I'm playing. That doesn't mean I would honor requests I disagree with, but it does mean I'm more likely to add something that I wouldn't have previously considered b/c it seemed like too much work or was something I did not have a strong interest in.

As for what would be included in these updates, I don't want to list everything right now, but your suggestions aren't so far off. Switching unit frame add-ons is something I've tried to do multiple times, but none of them yet support the flexibility I need to make the same layout. It's getting close though.

I do maintain a request list and an idea lists, so here's a teaser of a few of the things I have in mind:
  • Expanded skins that can specify different viewport sizes, chatframe settings, hotspot locations, etc.
  • Expanded skins that have completely embedded positioning override information, which will allow for radically different layouts and even a larger UI scale.
  • Probably more alternate add-on options in the Mazzifier. For example, a choice of different timer bar add-ons, etc.
  • Updating of button layouts for level 60-70 skills
  • Additional new button layouts based on talent spec
  • More hot-swappable locations. For example, in 25-mans, I like using the place where raid groups 6-8 were to put the MT frames.
  • More hot-swappable items, for example your damage meter, threat meter and boss timers.
  • More raid layouts, most importantly, 25-man layouts
  • Finer granularity of options in the Mazzifier, for example a page that shows exactly which frames will be moved that will allow you to not change frames that you have customized yourself.
  • I have a whole slew of things I'd like to add to my version of Bongos. I won't list them all, but on of the itmes is the ability to save and swap button layouts.
  • A more general notification system where stuff like the aggro bottom panel strobing would only be a component.
  • More options to configure stuff, including what the hotspots do.
  • More smart automations.
Anyway, that's all I'll give in this little preview. No promises on the definite implementation (or timeframe) on any of those items, but those are some of the things I've been considering.

btw, I scribble a note every time I get an idea, so I have pages of stuff that I think I can pull from for quite some time.