View Single Post
07-27-07, 12:35 PM   #19
Sketch
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
LOL @ those who have disagreed so far...mostly because their arguments aren't that sound, or based in any sort of real research into the matter.

It just sounds like a lot of people who feel 'entitled' to things, simply because they're free. Well, somebody has to pay, and so far it's been Mazzle with his free time.

Sure, others are very selflessly giving their addons for free, but Mazzle is a completely restructured UI that actually makes the game better. I refuse to play the game with a Vanilla UI, and there are no other UI's out there that offer the functionality and ease of use as Mazzle (I pop and I go, simple as that, no 'loading my user folder, rename to your character, blah blah blah').

I'm for Mazzle setting up a site for this, however, and would be happy to donate web space and bandwidth. I have a plan that allows for multiple sites on one, and right now, I'm not using anything close to my 400gb of bandwidth, and even hosting a huge site like this one for a different game (when I did) it only used up about 60gb a month.

So Mazzle, if you buy the web addy, I'd be happy to donate the space.

Anyway, I think this is a good idea, no matter which way you slice it. If you don't like it? There's the door. No one is forcing this UI on you, and no one ever will (Until the inevitable day when Blizz steals it/disables it entirely like every other super Addon :P). You pay 15 bucks a month to play WoW. And if you're STILL playing it (even with all the nerfs and crap and etc etc etc), what's another 5?

And Mazzle isn't advertising, he's getting a feel for how something like this will go.

And personally, I think all authors should band together and do something similar, and offer a premium service for their addons. Maybe then we wouldn't see so many fall off the face of the earth, or others try and salvage their code, etc. Many a useful addon has died from little to no support or interest.