Thread: My 2 cents
View Single Post
12-29-14, 09:12 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ribeirobreno View Post
Ignore > i don't even care about updating from minion and the client shouldn't even check for them. This exists per addon and it's fine.
Manual update > i may or may not update from minion and the client should check for updates and warn me about it but not install them. This only exists for the whole list, not per addon.
Ah, okay, that's pretty much how it works in the Curse Client. Ignored means "never update this addon automatically or when I click the update all button" but you can still see the installed vs latest versions next to it and update it manually if you want. You can also toggle automatic updates for individual addons to overwrite your global preference.

Personally I only use the ignore function for addons that are either (a) mis-identified, usually because the correct addon isn't on Curse at all, or (b) heavily modified from the official version, usually because the addon has been abandoned for years. In either case, I don't anticipate ever seeing any updates for those addons.

I don't use the automatic update feature at all, partly because if something starts acting weird after an addon update I'll have a pretty good idea why, and also because I just like to know what's being done. But for those who do use it, I don't think there'll really be any reason to turn it off for specific addons once the present bugs with version detection are fixed -- the automatic update should only update when the new version is unambiguously an update (eg. 5.1 is obviously newer than 4.8, and 60000.32 is obviously newer than 50400.99, and if both versions are on WoWI then it can see the date they were uploaded and compare that as well) and leave anything else for a manual update.

Last edited by Phanx : 12-29-14 at 09:15 PM.