View Single Post
02-07-05, 09:31 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan
Standalone AddOns seem VERY scarce at this site. You have to look in bundles.

Any ideas on how to get more people interested in posting them here? Is the method too difficult?
There are a few reasons why we aren't growing as fast as some of the other sites. I think a copy/paste of something I posted on the Blizz forums when folks were busy slamming this site (per usual, for whatever reason) sums it up pretty well:

Originally Posted by Cairenn
(1/26/2005 11:08:18 PM PST) No, we don't have as many mods available as the other sites. Yet. We’ve only been re-opened for 12 days so far, and in those 12 days, we've had 1,913 people register accounts. Whether we will get more AddOns or not, will remain up to the Mod Authors. If folks upload their mods to our site, then we will have more available. If they don't, we won't.

We were around during closed beta, but some (non-Blizz related) issues arose that required that we drop the site for a period of time, and as soon as those issues were resolved, we re-opened. If you look at the little block down at the bottom of the forums page, you see: Most users ever online was 297, 03-25-2004 at 07:30 PM. That date was during Closed Beta.

Yes, we do ask that you register in order to post or to download, but the only reason we do that is because we like to have an idea of the number of folks that are using our site. The lists aren't given to other sites, they aren't sold to spam email companies, nothing. The lists never leave our site and aren't used for anything beyond that. Period.

The only thing we have to base our expectations for WoWInterface.com on was our usefulness for the EQ community at EQInterface.com and the numbers there. EQI presently has 221,361 registered users, who can access the 2,348 mods currently available on that site. Only time will tell if it will work that way with WoWI or if it will be as some suggest, that requiring registration will kill the site.

We have not, do not and will not try to detract from any other mod hosting site. So far as we are concerned, the more sites that are available to help the player base, the better. Choice is good. Some people will use one site over another, but then again some people will play some games over another as well. Everyone is different and so different sites appeal to different people. We aren't "competing" with anyone, we aren't trying to be "the" site.

As long as we're providing a service to the community and people can come to the site and find something useful, then we're doing our job. It's not about competition. All we are doing is carrying our love of providing this sort of service over to the new game which we play.
ie: The fact that we got (re)started "late". The fact that we ask folks to register. I'm not sure why that's such a big deal, but it is, for some. The fact that we won't run around snagging mods from everywhere else and just slapping them up on the site (see more on this below). The fact that we moderate every mod that comes through the site, checking for virus, keyloggers, trojans, etc, and that we moderate every update to every mod that gets posted, to ensure that a previously safe mod remains safe.

There are places that I am seeing much more activity, but I generally like it here and would like to see it "grow up" more quickly with content.
We'd like to see it grow too, but we're quite content watching it grow at a steady supported rate. It'll get there. We're here for the long-haul.

Any ideas on how this can be done? Should we just start posting other people's stuff we see elsewhere?
Please please please, do NOT do this. The only mods we want on this site are ones that the authors have uploaded themselves and will be supporting themselves. This does include recompliations, with the proviso being that the original authors be credited, per usual.

I know you weren't seriously considering it, but if on the bizarre chance you were, please don't.

And yes, it's still early days yet. Everything comes with time, both the growth of our site, and the growth of the mods.

Last edited by Cairenn : 02-09-05 at 01:11 AM.