View Single Post
05-17-09, 08:27 AM   #11
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by PigtailsofDoom View Post
I was going to say... I didn't think elementalist builds really existed anymore for mages. Or at the very least, they aren't called that anymore. O.o
Elemental builds do exist for Mages, but with the advent of Frostfire Bolt (aka Jeebus Bolt), they have been renamed by some to Frostfire builds.

On-topic, I'm not so sure you should be doing Frostfire/Elemental for your mage at all. Watching the vids I do, doing the research I do, and watching the raids I do, the chart-topping Mages are all Arcane Mages, and in PvP, you'll find no faster killing Mage than an Arcane Mage.

For raiding, I recommend this build: 56/3/12 Arcane
Major Glyphs: Arcane Missiles, Arcane Blast, and Mage Armor
Minor Glyphs: Arcane Intellect, Slow Fall, and... whatever!
A lot of people like to ask why I skipped putting a point into Slow if I'm spec'd for Torment the Weak. So many other classes put up snaring debuffs that it's not an issue, but if it's necessary that you do it yourself, you can throw out a Jeebus Bolt or pop Mirror Image and get the desired effect, or you can pull a point out of Permafrost and put it into Slow.

For PvP, I recommend this build: 58/10/0 +3 Arcane
Major Glyphs: Evocation, Frost Nova, and Polymorph
Minor Glyphs: Arcane Intellect, Fire Ward, and Frost Ward
Nothing owns arenas and battlegrounds like an unsilenceable Mage with nearly nothing but beefy insta-casts. It's a huge mana dump, but if you're playing the spec right, your opponent is dead by the time being /oom is an issue. And, if that's not the case, be a Rogue. Poly them in place, pop insta-cast Invisiblity, run somewhere to Evocate, and start over. In this spec, I chose to throw the extra three points into Ice Flows for the reduced cool-down on Frost Nova. However, depending on your arena partner(s) and play style, you may want to put one of them into Slow, Focus Magic, and/or Arcane Power. (When I was still doing arenas before Wrath dropped, my 2's partner was a Retadin, and he loved Focus Magic, but I wasn't getting enough out of it, so I spec'd out of it.)

If you have any questions about either build, feel free to ask.

To see what I have to say about Fire, click here.

Last edited by us2006027321 : 08-11-09 at 07:01 AM.