View Single Post
05-22-09, 08:18 AM   #14
Verissi
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
Whatever the case, a Mage should know what he's doing, why he's doing it, and how he's going to do it, and you just can't do that without doing your math homework. Kudos to you for doing that.
I'm usually the "go-to resource" for our guild mages, even though I don't raid as one these days (my DK tanks in Ulduar, and I bring my holy priest or arms warrior to one of the Naxx raids), so I totally agree with you there. Sure, some specs are mathematically superiour at certain gearing levels, but if the player isn't as comfortable with them or has latency problems that prevent the tight timing involved in something like an arcane rotation, they're not going to be able to deliver it. I do sometimes nudge them to at least play with the "better specs" while doing dailies or some quick 5-mans to get some practice, since most learn by doing...and it takes that "must perform NOW" pressure off, but you're absolutely correct that playstyle is quite important as well. Many times, it just comes down to a 1-3% difference in output, which doesn't concern me all that much (as long as they are performing up to their gear level to begin with). I will admit to pushing the long-time frosties towards a better spec if they're interested in raiding, though

I like watching someone's health dip h*lla-low in 3 or 4 instacasts and then see them panic, and that's why I PvP Arcane. I do happen to be an Arenas nut, though I'm not doing much now that Wrath happened. I'll agree with you that there is no CC like Frost, but Blizz added so much sneaky, crafty survivability into the Arcane tree that a well-spec'd PvP Arcane Mage is a spell-slinging Rogue for all intents and purposes.
No lie there. I used to do a ton of world PvP and really loved it, so my job was usually "keep that bunch of folks under control while we focus down the healers". Nothing gets a group of people focused on you (and only you) quite like a frosty chaining blizzards

Nothing makes a Rogue wet himself like when I pop insta-cast Invisibility and then eat him alive from maximum spell range. That single move is a show-stopper and can change the course of a fight from me losing into me winning.
Hehehe, I play my rogue exclusively in PvP, so I have a slightly different perspective. With my knowledge of the various classes (I play all except shaman...and I'm rolling one soon), I can be quite nasty to go against that way. I don't think I'm all that great (I've definitely fought better), but everyone that I know that's faced me in BGs has said how bloody annoying I am A rogue with patience can be a seriously nasty customer. Now if I can only get my rogue friends to wait a few extra seconds instead of immediately going for a kill...and dying to the three guys that were passing by at the time.