View Single Post
03-20-09, 10:39 PM   #46
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

My $.02:

I am both for and against this new policy. I think the major issue that I have are these two:
5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.

Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.

6) Add-ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material.

World of Warcraft has been given a “T” by the ESRB, and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world. Blizzard Entertainment requires that add-ons not include any material that would not be allowed under these ratings.
I think #5 should be changed to "may not solicit donations in an intrusive manner". Frankly, if nUI or Quest Helper or any other addon has a small blurb when it loads or a small donation button in the corner, these should be allowed. Either that, or the automatic updaters need to be changed so that the Author can put a donation link somewhere where the user can see it when it is being downloaded, which would require a change of policy on those sites that produce them.

As for number 6, well, that's kind of ridiculous. I can understand not allowing, say, an addon that spams obcenities into chat, but frankly if it doesn't impact anone ELSE'S experience in game, I should be allowed to have, say, a durability meter that showed how badly your equipment is damaged by armor falling off of a big-breasted lady.