View Single Post
09-12-12, 11:48 PM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by juztcallmepapi View Post
Then you guys are obvious to the headache this is causing the player base. I mean, I understand they can't fix every bug over night, but also only fixing the addon so it pops up in-game (and not actually fixing bugs), disappearing for months at a time and not addressing the community's concerns is a big no no. Especially if it's an FA.

No offense, but a decent look at the developer's forum can give you an obvious gimps that they don't even play the game anymore. They've admitted that fact themselves. I never said to remove the content entirely. I only said that they shouldn't be a FA. It's a donation deathtrap. While new users are going to your site, checking on the FA list, they see Carbonite. They are being mislead thinking that the add-on is being well maintained. Possibly even donating to for the cause.

FA should be reserved for well respected, well maintained and well deserving add-ons. You don't see car dealerships showcasing old model cars ... why should WI showcase an add-on that's being held together by strings and band-aids?
Being that Cairenn and Dolby have many years experience in this field I sincerely doubt they are oblivious to any headaches this may be causing. If you are watching the forums closely you can see they are active but restrained in the events.

As for forum activity as a measure for eligibility for FA status. That is fairly silly. If you look many FA's have long periods of silence due to any number of reasons. Should the Mods round them all up and give them a stern talking to? Perhaps run them out of town on a rail? Half of any FA's forum section are partially maintained by fans of said addon(s) which is part of the community aspect of this site. Those that know tend to help when they can by answering questions. In some cases the FA's have granted limited ability to patch the aforementioned addon. This however is NOT a requirement.

Nor does it matter if they even play the game. Programmers at say Adobe do not need to be photographers to help coding photoshop. You don't need to use the items you create.

As to what should be, that is ultimately decided by Cairenn and Dolby. Their reasoning was given as to why they are holding off for now. I would think a little respect is in order. Making this a witch-hunt and trying to wipe out their existence doesn't solve anything just alleviate some hurt on one side.

Let them run their site and in the end everything will be ok.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor