Thread: NPC IDs
View Single Post
05-05-18, 08:34 PM   #2
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Your premise is incorrect, in that the same issue exists in live. Before BfA beta, and in BfA beta there are the following:
(1) NPCs that have the same ID yet are in more than one position.
(2) NPCs that are the same person (name, etc.) but have different NPC IDs in different positions.
(3) NPCs that are the same person (name, etc.) but have different NPC IDs in the SAME position. (Usually something has happened to change their state, and therefore their NPC ID.) [Actually I have not found this case in BfA beta yet.]
There are also NPCs that have the same NPC ID, but have different names depending on whether they are "attached" to you or to another player.

I do not know of any way to differentiate NPCs with the same ID but different locations, so in my addon Grail, I create "alias" NPC IDs for an NPC whose ID reported by Blizzard is the same as one Grail already knows, but has a different location. For example, in BfA beta, you meet Flynn in prison with NPC ID 121239 at location 876:79.84,59.33, but as you move to Tiragarde Sound, you encounter him again with the same NPC ID at location 895:73.70,25.15. Grail has a separate alias for this second position where quests associated with that position use that alias NPC ID.