View Single Post
05-05-16, 02:16 PM   #163
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
If I recall correctly, I even noticed one particular addon that went as far as calling itself a "legacy addon", just there for "legacy reasons" without any real functionality.
This moves into a gray area as marking an out-of-date addon as "legacy" leads me to believe they're promoting its use on private servers. Of which we all know is against ToS. Once in a while I do see requests for such addons, usually met with a snippet of our forum rules. Many of such responses have been mine. I would like to see measures taken against publishing addons for this purpose, but I'm not sure which direction to take for suggesting a systematic implementation of limiting factors. Especially ones that would act upon addon listings that have gone out-of-date.

Also, you're a very frequent poster who seems inclined to help other authors solve their problems, which I think is a desirable quality in a beta test.
I try. I do have times though where I just don't have enough time in the day, questions asked are about a particular topic I don't have enough experience to contribute, or someone already answered and my input wouldn't add any value to the conversation. In the end, I guess this describes a lot of us.

My rolling eyes are directed towards those who are merely fishing for an invite to play the new expansion in any way possible.
I recognized your intent, just adding a little anecdote to how broad the explanation was. To be honest, I was already a long-time member when the LK beta was being offered. At the time, I hadn't even considered uploading any of the random scripts I had written by then. I ended up packaging a few of them and uploaded them to be eligible for the beta key, but I was too late in signing up and my number never was called. I ended up sticking around anyway and I'm still here even though I don't have as much time now as I used to.

I recognize people will do anything for a beta key and a major reason for the join date cutoff is to prevent people from stealing addon code and creating new accounts to post them. It's very hard to come up with a computer algorithm to properly gauge how trustworthy someone is or whether they're trying to abuse the system for personal gain. I know going by the join date isn't perfect, but it's what we have.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 05-05-16 at 02:44 PM.