View Single Post
09-29-12, 02:24 AM   #18
Tymesink
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I don't understand the fuss about paid guides in this day and age. Questing now is so easy, so linear, and so self-explanatory that there's simply no need for a guide. Every quest leads you right to the next one, and you generally get quests in the same order you should do them. The default map shows you exactly where to go for each quest, and you can use TomTomLite or TomTom+QuestPointer or something to show a giant neon arrow on your screen pointing you right to the nearest quest objective.

I've just been leveling a new character in the last week or so, and questing is so ridiculously easy that I'm not even finishing half the quests in each area before they're all turning green and I'm getting the breadcrumb quests to take me to the next area. I can't imagine having to read a guide would do anything but slow me down.

If you're trying to set some record while leveling, you've probably already leveled up a few characters and are familiar with the quests, and don't need a guide because you already know what to do. If you're leveling your first character, you're not going to set any records, and don't need a guide because Blizzard has made the process so simple.
I've been using Zygor since Wrath of the Lich King and I love the addon. It has really streamline the leveling process for me to where its really not much "reading the Guide" at all. You are right, however, about how Blizzard has made leveling a very linear and easy thing to do. But the addon from Zygor goes the extra mile. For me, its well worth the money I've to get a quality product that is WELL supported. I could explain line by line all the extra stuff it does but I think I do it a disservice if I did so. They have videos on their website explaining all the features... they have a free trial as well.

http://www.zygorguides.com

As far as money for addons go, I'm more of an entrepreneur mind set (also a software developer) and I personaly don't see anything wrong in how Zygor and Dugi are "skating" around Blizzard rule about charging money for addons. Both author spends a lot of time in not only making a viewer for their guides but a lot of time in building a database of "quest analysis" to stream line the leveling process to make every minute spent in leveling efficient and effective.

However, I can also understand why blizzard made a policy about keeping addons free. They didn't want a whole industry / market being created where any changes that they make in their game could effect how profits are made which in turn could lead to a law suit. By keeping addons free, its makes it safe for blizzard to allow 3rd parties (you, me, Zygor, Dugi, etc) to write addons for their game without having the liability involved for the changes made. I'm sure there are a lot more reasons and legaleeze into supporting their policy and I could be wrong in my understanding but this at least makes sense to me.

In the end, if Zygor and / or Dugi had violated any of Blizzard's poilicies, Blizzard would have ban their addons from being used by now. I'd say, go try out the trial... you'll be really impressed with it.

Good Luck Leveling and mostly have fun!

Last edited by Tymesink : 09-29-12 at 02:56 AM.