Thread: GUI's
View Single Post
06-03-05, 01:59 PM   #53
diiverr
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Beladona
I moved all of the default micro menu buttons to the bar at the top, and mde a minimap toggle button with the minimap docked to the bar in a way that makes it look integrated to the bar.
That looks very nice Beladona. One suggestion I might make for you, given the popularity of Titan, is to option your bar top or bottom, so your user can choose. It won't effect me at all (and I do plan on using what I see so far) as I dock Titan on the bottom, but I'll wager you'll get the request. There would be some implementation issues with placement of the *hanging* elements in relation to the plethora of bottom bar possibilites, and I don't have a clue what you do with the map functionality if you park your bar down there, but like I mentioned, it might be worth considering.

Speaking of the map, that is really nicely executed. Well done! I have to ask... What happens when you click the open button for it? (give you three guesses why I'm curious)

I have done tons of experimentation with code standards, ..[clip].. SO FAR this has worked like a charm for me, but as I do further testing I will know for sure. Obviously some functions may be best to leave alone, as they may be in use elsewhere...
Most of what you said regarding lua naturally went right over my head, but I do look forward to taking a look at what you have cooking. Are tables simple enough in concept that you could post a code block here I could sneak a peek at? or is this something I better stay away from for now? (I'm just now getting a handle on the basics of actually calling a function from XML)

On a not really related note, I have a question. My AddOn, so far, doesn't contain a much if any lua/memory action. (Cant speak for MoveAnything! waaaay over my head what's goin on in there, but It feels clean on the top end anyway.) What it does have is a lot of frames, much of which are typically hidden. I swear I read once that a hidden (truly hidden, like, lua :Hide(); hidden) frame isn't using system resources. I'm curious if this is true, I think its fairly relevant to DiivSkins. Any idea if this is corrrect?

Hopefully this gave people ideas. My eventual goal is to almost completely redesign the look and feel of the ui, rather than just add little things here and there.
It does indeed (give me ideas) the layout stuffs, sadly not the code concepts.

Thank you for sharing, I look forward to seeing more.