View Single Post
12-11-22, 11:31 AM   #7
AeroMaxxD
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
Addonswow.com is not a valid site to get addons. It's entire collection is just rehosted from other sites and rarely are the addons there up-to-date.
That's fine it was just a link I found.

Do you have the basics of creating and loading an addon into WoW?
Yes, although this is really a yes and no answer, basically I know there needs to be a toc file in the folder just from looking at other addons, as to the structure as to what should be in this file I only know what I seen in other addons.

As for getting the library to work, we can't help you if you don't share your entire code and specify what you are doing, what you did, the results you expect, and the results you're getting.
Sure, I understand that. My personal feeling is that I need a better understanding of Lua in general. This can only be a good thing surely? I mean I can't go too far wrong from learning Lua generally, maybe I would have an easier time learning the wow-specific stuff from that point on.

Are you saving the file you edited and then reloading the UI when you make changes?
Yes, should I not do that?

Did you read and understand everything on that GitHub page from the author? Did you try getting those examples working first before changing things?
I read everything on the GitHub page, but sadly only understood it partially. I created an addon "WorldMapButton" and .toc, .lua, .xml files with the same name as the folder, and then copied and pasted the example into the respective files, and logged into wow.

The example given doesn't give me any errors, but it also doesn't add a button to the world map.

I think I need to add something into the functions in the Mixin file in the example.

Also I wasn't sure if I was to include the .lua or .xml file(s) in the .toc file, so I just included the .xml file as this references the .lua files but unsure if that was correct or not.

WoW addon development is more involved than just learning a coding language, it takes patience and an understanding of the parts between the lines of code and actually doing something on screen.
Sure I understand that, I just figured having spent approx. 5 days trying to figure stuff out every day approx. 5 hours each day on and off throughout the day I would have made more progress.

I uploaded my first addon July 2015, and that was after deciding to learn to make one over the holiday break at the end of 2014. I didn't consider myself "advanced" until years later, and even then, XML still scares me and I refused to use it when making visual stuff. Hell, just digging around the big boy addons confuses the hell out of me. I also refuse to use libraries unless I absolutely have to, like supporting shared media. Learn how to do the simple stuff first before relying on another addon (love the contradictory statement on that Github page, "install this addon so you don't have to rely on an addon" lol).
My initial thought was to try and fix addons that hadn't been updated in a long time to work with DragonFlight, after realising this was harder to do that I first thought I decided I would scale things back a lot, I have an addon that adds a button to the world map to toggle HandyNotes pins, but it adds it in the same place another addon I have puts world maps coords for where my mouse is.

So I figured I would create an addon with the same functionality, but add the toggle button in a different place on the world map, the same place where all the other buttons are placed.

This in theory should be a fairly simple addon with very few lines of code IMO.

I self taught myself with wowprogramming.com before it shut down. Since then, all my learning is from digging into other addons, including Blizzard's code extract, and loads of random wiki reads. It also helps that I maintain a personal addon that has grown into thousands of lines of code doing all sorts of random things. It started as just an amalgamation of all the tiny addons I had, some were just a few lines of code, and I was cleaning up my addon list. If it helps for you to read a Lua guide, that's fine, just keep in mind Lua by itself, the barebones language, is tiny. Vast majority of what you need to learn is what Blizzard has implemented. If you want to learn and understand Lua by itself first, you can check out the official manual online here.
I have the first edition of that wowprogramming book in print, and the 2nd edition as a pdf, I should also have the lua 5.1 reference manual in print soon, it was meant to arrive last thursday, but it appears to have got lost in the post.