View Single Post
11-16-18, 01:03 PM   #14
Ethly
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Did this actually do anything ? My understanding is that it would rotate similar to the hands of a clock with a total of 360 degrees to complete the rotation. As in we only have control of the X and Y location with layering ( https://wow.gamepedia.com/Layer ) the only level of 3D like visualness we have with the UI.
Here's full working code which rotates the outer frame (bgFrame) but not the inner model frame.

Code:
local bgFrame = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent);
bgFrame:SetPoint("CENTER", 0, 100);
bgFrame:SetWidth(300);
bgFrame:SetHeight(300);
local t = bgFrame:CreateTexture();
t:SetAllPoints();
t:SetColorTexture(0, 0, 0);

local ag = bgFrame:CreateAnimationGroup();
local a = ag:CreateAnimation("Rotation");
a:SetDegrees(90);
a:SetDuration(1);
ag:SetLooping("REPEAT");
ag:Play();

local frame = CreateFrame("PlayerModel", "IciclesFrame", bgFrame);
frame:SetAllPoints();
frame:SetModel("SPELLS\\CFX_Mage_IcicleMastery_LaunchedMissile.m2");
frame:SetFacing(math.pi / 2);
Has anyone done anything similar that inspired you ? If so, maybe look at how they implemented their magic.
Unfortunately no.

To be honest, I don't think you will better what the game already does with the icicle animation.

If you want to have a permanent display of your icicles I'd settle for the 2D images spaced out at a location that suits your gameplay and activate them when required and within the realms of in combat UI changes. With the built in icicle display doing the 3D animation stuff it already does.
Built-in icicles are hidden by other in-game objects and kind of hard to see with camera distance. I was going to use static images from the beginning, but using animated 3D icicles would be just more immersive IMO. Yes, they would be somewhat duplicated, but I don't see that as a big issue. Well, may be I'd change my mind with playing