View Single Post
06-11-12, 03:59 AM   #12
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I actually wouldn't recommend oUF_Simple as a starting point for anyone new to programming. It's great for people with a programming background who are new to Lua and/or WoW addons, but I think it's really way too big and complicated for someone without any programming experience.

Instead, I'd recommend looking at oUF_Classic or oUF_Lily, the two example layouts Haste (the author of oUF) links to on the oUF page. Both are pretty simple, with the main parts contained in just one file, and provide much better starting points for (a) understanding how oUF layouts work, and (b) building your own layout.
I'd have to 100% agree.

Granted, I didn't have a single bit of lua knowledge in the slightest when I started with oUF_Simple, but it was FreChinEgyptian to me,=.

I spent a while messing with other layouts - basically learning if I changed x, y would happen etc...

If you have a working LUA background or have worked with something similar to LUA (or another language), oUF_Simple might be too advanced for you.

Best suggestion (if you aren't using something like STUF or Pitbull already!) is find an oUF layout you like, look at the code (most authors are gracious enough to explain what the following section of code does) and start messing with it.

I know multiple people have referenced this for me (my lua-fu is reallllllly mediocre at best, but this helped): http://wowprogramming.com/

You can view each header, forums, and search the website for a specific function you're looking to modify - basically, it's been invaluable.