View Single Post
05-09-09, 10:40 PM   #103
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
new features, compatibility with other versions of the same mod.
*data entry swarm to finish work order*

But how does a user know there are new features? How do they know it's going to be bug fixes or optimisations ?

There's no guarantee that a new version of a mod is going to have new features or optimizations or indeed anything of any importance what so ever. Often times it's for some new text somewhere in the addon for a language you don't play in. Other times its a tagging change.

Blindly installing software in the hopes of it not causing errors or getting new features and optimisations is a bit silly I feel.

With a UI that's working fine it's a bit like playing Russian Roulette - there's no guarantee that this "new version" isn't going to shot you in the foot.

My way (the one detailed in my sig) is better IMHO. At least I know before even opening the page what changes have been made. Then I can go "meh not interested" and delete that email.

Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
given the drag it is to actually upload a new mod manually, i kind of doubt people bother posting new versions of their mods unless they're significantly different.
No. What people need to free themselves of is the idea that updating your mods has to be hard. It is not hard to update a mod. If you know how to install a mod , you know how to update a mod.

There is that confusing replace dialog that comes up in Vista but once you learn how to use that you should be alright.

Its not hard at all. In my little plan I have I actually timed how long each step takes me. The download-unzip-install part was about 2 minutes for 3-4 mods.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)