View Single Post
07-15-12, 07:24 AM   #4
kaels
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by venoabyss View Post
Ps I've been trying the list of programs listed in the tutorials and helpful info but most of the links seem to be down
wowprogramming.com is a godsend. The API is almost fully documented with an excellent structure showing the relationships among widgets. That's probably the best starting point; the API changes fast enough that virtually any tutorial you'll find will be out of date.

If you want some example code, check out any of the addons by Phanx, Cladhaire, Roth, or haste. (Lots of other great addon authors here, but those four have particularly nice styles and clean code.)
Originally Posted by venoabyss View Post
However I haven't found a LUA or XML editor to make the transition easier, I'm used to using Visual C++ or VB Studio Suite, is there a lua/xml tool that approximates that type of environment that I should look into?
As Phanx said, most addon devs are using something like Notepad++. I just switched from Notepad++ to Sublime Text 2 after seeing it mentioned here; it's about halfway between an IDE and a text editor. I find it just about perfect.

If you want a true IDE, there's technically a Lua extension available for Eclipse, but I really don't know what good it would do you. Most IDE features just won't work for addons - can't compile them, can't run them, can't debug them. I don't even think you can lint them effectively. Version control integration is helpful, but you don't need a full-on IDE for that.