View Single Post
03-26-09, 01:53 PM   #561
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would say that, strictly speaking, yes. They want to make the game less dependent on addons.

That is to say, they want to make the game more viable without them.

That doesn't mean they don't want addons to be an option, it doesn't mean they want to punish addon authors. It means they want to make the base game better.

So, say. As an example.

Let's say someone did an amazing job of building an addon that let you have a window just like a talent window, only with some kind of preview/cancel option. That'd be a great feature, and I could see people using it.

So then Blizzard might say "wow, that's really nice, let's implement one of those."

They aren't doing it to punish the addon author; they're doing it because he was right and they were wrong, as to what the basic interface ought to be like. Make sense?

So I see no hostility. If anything, I sort of see it as a recognition that addon authors are a part of the essential development process of the base game at this point -- that Blizzard's openly admitting that they like to see the work we do, and they benefit from it.

Honestly, if they fixed the default quest tracker to just remember what quests you had tracked when you logged out (and maybe allow more than five, or allow tracking of "no objectives to track" quests), I would stop maintaining ToDo. I wouldn't be sad, hurt, or offended; I'd be overjoyed that I didn't have to do that anymore.

(Some day, I want to rewrite that mod with an unusual feature that occurred to me once: My idea is to have something like ToDo, which isn't a buggy piece of crap. I think this would revolutionize the UI experience.)