View Single Post
10-16-08, 06:00 PM   #39
Kaerey
A Defias Bandit
So Mazzle has a lot of custom work and a lot of third-party mods, I personally really like the split from 2.3 or what ever with the core pack and the addon packages. I would ideally like to see everything from the CORE pack (unit frames, bars, hud, etc) not be 3rd-party mods so if in doubt, we know the core mods will be working with the system. But here's my thoughts on your list Brem.

Originally Posted by Brem View Post
1. Unit Frames - Mazzle uses DUF which has been (at least partially) updated. The 3D figures are custom Mazzle.
The key features that I enjoyed are the vertical bars, 3d models, and the quick link buttons around the target (whisper, trade, etc)

2. HUD & Context Menu - Both of these were custom developed. It appears that the HUD relies on some combination of Discord Art/Unit Frames. Context menu is custom Mazzle.
Huds are very common now and we might be able to find a 3-party substitute or get one of those mod makers to come work with us and maintain our core piece
3. Action Bar - To make the thing look right, I think these have to (at least) be placed. Adding spells would also be nice. (A feature request might be to be able to submit user supplied button layouts)
many people have been mentioning the Bongos to Dominos conversion, they are NOT the same thing. Dominos has been a complete rewrite and Bongos abandoned. I looked at Dominos and i'm not sure it has the flexibility of what we were wanting, either a new core mod or switching to bartender might be better which has profiles.
4. Minimap & Button shuffling - Mazzle was great about removing unnecessary buttons from the minimap and putting them either on a FuBar or custom placing them if there was no FuBar option
Lots of things can move minimap buttons now, but sure what has changed in the blizzard ui with the addition of the calendar (new shape and size)
5. Mazzifier - This is a gigantic piece of custom code that allows the "base" units to be laid out and configured. This is probably the real work here.
I think above all this is the most attractive piece of mazzle, yes the rest is amazing but after messing around with configs and manually making changes to layouts, this was the greatest piece of Mazzle and set Mazzle's work apart from the rest. IMO this is the most important piece of front end design. Once all the bits and pieces work, it isn't MazzleUI unless this works.

6. Skinning & Efficiency - Skinning the bottom panel is critical (I think) to Mazzle. I'm not so sure about effiiciency modes, I never used them and don't know how crucial they are.
I myself never change my graphics settings so the efficienty modes aren't important, but I do know that the mod used has been updated and is working.
7. Non-core mods - Being able to place "non-core" mods that are still useful is important, but less so.
Non-Core? I think we first need to decide what we feel are core and non-core, for me non-core means anything not required for the look and feel and EASE of MazzleUI. This would be like threat meters and boss mods, Trade Skill windows and Quest helpers (Although that damn pointer is clutch!)
8. Intelligent enabling of mods - Knowing what class & tradeskills and setting up special mods & buttons. Sure, include class-specific addons (pallypower, shard ace, totem timers, what have you) but turn them off for those classes that don't use them.
I think most class specific mod makers have done a good job of turning them off if you are on a wrong class. Necrosis I know does, Call of Elements used to, not sure about Pally Power. This might not be something we have to entirely focus on.

I would ideally like to make two packages again, a core pack to get it working and an enchanced experience pack that adds the non-core pieces to the pie.