View Single Post
11-06-14, 09:20 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sikwidit View Post
Hmm... I could be wrong but I'm feeling that you're being a douch.
Nope, just asking if you'd already done any research or tried anything, and if you had, what specifically you were still asking for help with after checking out the available resources and examples. Just saying "I need help" isn't very descriptive, and I'm not going to waste 45 minutes typing up a step by step guide for X when I don't know if you even need help with X.

Originally Posted by sikwidit View Post
Is there an addon to do that? ...or mainly you have to write your own script? Now here's the finally - I dont write scipts, so if it has to be done only via scripts, can someone help or point me in the direction.
Yes, you would have to write your own addon. There's not really any way to write a "do all the things I want to do for new users when they install my UI compilation" addon without it being specific to your UI compilation.

Basically you need to do these things (italics are things to search for on Wowpedia for more information):

1. Use saved variables to remember if your setup addon has been run before, so you don't keep showing it it to the user after they've already run it.

2. Create a frame with any number of textures (pictures), fontstrings (text), and buttons for the user to interact with.

3. When the user clicks on a button, run a script that does something.

4. When you're all done, hide the frame and update your saved variable to indicate that the user has completed the setup process and shouldn't be shown the setup frame anymore.

I'd suggest installing some other UI compilations that have interactive setup features, if you haven't before, so you can get an idea of what they usually offer. For example, the setup frame in MayronUI -- which I helped write the original version of years ago -- has multiple pages where you can customize the UI in different ways. This will help you get an idea of what exactly you want yours to do, which will in turn make it easier to figure out how to make it.

For example, maybe you just want one frame that says "Welcome to my UI, push the big button below to complete installation!" that automatically picks the right profile for the user's resolution and invokes Reflux in the background to activat that profile.

Or maybe you want a 10-page "setup wizard" like you get when installing a Windows program, where each page offers additional options, like "do you need raid addons? yes/no" and "do you want minimap icons or an info bar?" etc.

Once you know exactly what you want, start with something basic -- for example, just work on #1 and have your addon print a message to the chat frame on login telling you whether you've loaded the addon before. Then move on to creating a frame, and having the frame appear or not appear based on whether you've loaded the addon before. Just take it one step at a time, familiarize yourself with the many addon programming resources that are available to you, and ask specific questions if you get stuck.

However, if you're not willing to learn and do most of the work creating a setup tool for your UI compilation, you shouldn't really expect that anyone else is going to be willing to do it all for you, and you should probably just stick with telling users to run the Reflux commmands from the download page.

Last edited by Phanx : 11-06-14 at 09:22 PM.