Thread: Carbonite 5.04
View Single Post
09-12-12, 11:25 PM   #413
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
The grocery analogy is very apt here. Rythal did something, for free, out of kindness to the community (offered his fan update) and the authors (said to send the donations to them, not to himself) and they crapped on him. It's very accurate.

You throw around the word entitlement, but you have no idea what it means. It has nothing to do with people's disgust at how the author(s) treated Rythal. No one is demanding anything of the authors. We're standing up and saying how they acted is not acceptable, that it's shameful and downright wrong. Considering that Rythal is the one that made the fan update, there was no need to use his name. It was clear to anyone with two brain cells to rub together who they were talking about. You need to go read the post that inflamed so many people before you start making claims that you're clearly uninformed on.
As to the grocery analogy - some people do not like being helped. When I was a young lad and worked at a grocery store - I have had people who denied my help when I went to ask them if they wanted help loading in the bags into their car or put their cart away for them. They wanted to do it themselves - for whatever reason it may be, it's not my place to tell them they can't say "no" or how they can say no.

As to the whole entitlement issue - it stemmed from someone demanding that Carbonite hand off their creation to someone like Rythal because the users are basically entitled to having an up to date and running addon (which we, the community, may have the privilege - not the right to use). You are correct in the fact that the entitlement debate isn't directly related to Rthal, however it is related to Carbonite's post lots of people are so upset about. Please re-read the post (copied below, because I took the time to find it again and re-read it). Darkmalux is stating his opinion that if you don't have time to fix an addon - than you do not publish an addon. That is akin to a demand or an attempted statement of "fact" to which Carbonite responded.

Finally, I'm standing up here saying that I completely understand where Carbonite could be coming from. I do not find it an offensive statement, but one that they have made before and have to reiterate once again because people keep questioning them. The fact is, even after that statement, people are still calling for them to hand down the project and give it up freely. Why not just let Carbonite decide when they make that decision (as they have told us before they would when they make that decision) and instead of yelling and raising pitchforks and torches demanding them to do a specific action, those who want to leave just leave. A lot of the rest of us are willing to wait patiently and hope they get more time - or someone else creates a new addon from scratch that does better than Carbonite.

==============
Originally Posted by Darkmalux View Post
I've been following this since 5.04. And I for one am extremely happy with what Rythal did for you. Which was fix YOUR addon and I read this entire thread and not once did you thank him. Not once did you thank the people here for their support of you. Honestly your answers seem smug and condescending. If you no longer play wow, or you cannot keep up with supporting this addon, or you cannot even pay enough attention to the fact there is a LONG AWAITED patch and xpack (which you should have known about), THEN DON'T DEVELOP THE ADD ON. Give it to somebody else to continue to work on. There are several people who were more then happy to step up and continue the work on the addon. I wonder how much money you made from us while you were not even knowing there was a patch? This is not a troll I am not attempting to flame etc I'm just stating how I feel. It's time we stop making excuses for these people who could care less about the people who use their products. If you have a Job, and you are too busy or if you don't play anymore THEN DON'T PUBLISH AN ADDON. Thank You.
-----------
Carbonite response:
It is our addon. We did not ask, nor do we want someone else modding it.

I won't tell you to work for free or give your property away, so please don't tell us what we should do with our property.

I think my answers have been direct and to the point, but that is just my opinion.
==============