Thread: Quests database
View Single Post
12-29-14, 10:33 AM   #35
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Nimhfree View Post
In case you are considering Grail options, Grail has the first three pieces of information. It makes unique the NPCs so it only records one copy of an NPC no matter how many quests are used. However, you will find Blizzard sometimes uses the same NPC ID even when the NPC moves locations (not necessarily phased), so Grail handles this by using "alias" NPC IDs which can be displayed as the Blizzard NPC ID as needed. [By the way, the whole concept of quest givers, etc. gets really complicated with all the things Blizzard does, and for the best accuracy you might not want to recreate this yourself. I can go into much detail if you really want it.]
The Quest NPCs are not the problem, as they have starting position recorded when accepting (or completing) quest and this data is connected with Quest not NPC. I think there is no need to use other addon, as this data is already colected by Quest Module.

Personally I believe the quest objective information from Blizzard APIs can be used as needed, so recording that information may not be needed.
What do u mean no recording? There is no Blizzard database of quest objectives...

The last piece of information Blizzard now provides in its own way that may be adequate assuming you can get it to put onto the Carbonite map instead of Blizzard's maps. However, if that information cannot be gotten, this is where you need to determine it for the new quests to record for the addon. This might be recordable when you accomplish one of the objectives for a quest by noting your current location, and just make a list. Turning that list into a region instead of a bunch of points will take your gathering data from a lot of users, and either some fancy algorithms or a lot of manual region making. For single points, you should be ok.
Thats no problem. We have algoritm to make blobs from point already. We only have to record those points for respective objectives location.