Thread: Questhelper
View Single Post
10-10-08, 09:46 AM   #16
Kestrelon
A Murloc Raider
QuestHelper Tracker Fix

Woohoo! SCORE!!!

After reading many of the other posts in this thread, I decided to tinker around a bit myself. I love QuestHelper, but as many of you have found, I too had my tracker minion stuck on the minimap and wasn't able to reach the white handle to move it. I use a LOT of addons, so the idea of disabling and re-enabling them all was a nightmare; there had to be a different way...and I think I found it! It takes a bit more screwing around, but it worked!

One proviso: By default, Blizzard creates it's own UI folder, which I renamed to "Blizzard Interface" (referenced below) and left alone so I had a clean interface to use for things like this. If you deleted or modified it, just rename your current interface folder to something else (Step 1 below) and WoW will create a new default Interface folder for you when you log into the game.

The Process:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Step 1 - Go to your World of Warcraft folder and rename your Interface folder to something you'll remember later. ("Interface Current", for example)

Step 2 - Wander into the Addons section and copy QuestHelper to the clipboard.

Step 3 - By default, Blizzard should have placed an entire section of Interface folders in the parent WoW directory. (Blizzard Interface, Blizzard Interface Art (enUS), Blizzard Interface Data (enUS), etc etc etc.) Find the folder marked Blizzard Interface, (see proviso above if you can't find it), browse into the Addons section, and paste QuestHelper in there.

Step 4 - Rename the Blizzard Interface folder to Interface

Step 5 - Log into WoW, making sure to only check QuestHelper for ONE character, preferably an alt you don't use a lot. (Better safe than sorry; it's easier to fix a small number of blunders on an alt than have to redo all your careful placement and tweaks on a main. )

Step 6 - Enter the realm; you should now have nothing on your screen except the standard, default Blizzard UI (YIKES!!! ) Your minimap will be back in the upper righthand corner. Type "/qh track" if you don't see the minion and it should appear right under the minimap.

Step 7 - Hover over the text and a small white box should appear somewhere around the border of the frame, allowing you to move the tracker. (Look close! ::grin:: If you have your scale turned way down, it may be very hard to see, but it's there somewhere!) Drop it around the middle of the screen or at least somewhere you'll be able to reach it again later. (I noticed as I moved it around, the window itself seemed "smart"; the handle shifted around the frame, depending where I moved it on the screen.)

Step 8 - Log out of WoW completely

Step 9 - Go back into your WoW directory and rename your Interface folder back to "Blizzard Interface", then change your original UI folder back to Interface.

Step 10 - Log back into WoW and double-check your Addons to make sure they have all returned. (You shouldn't have lost anything as far as settings or what addons were used for what characters, since the WTF and Cache folders were never touched in this process.) Select the guinea pig character that has QuestHelper enabled, log into them, and move the tracker to your heart's content!

I just did this same process on both my system and my wife's...it worked flawlessly in both cases. I hope it works for you too!

~ Kestrelon