View Single Post
10-21-20, 05:51 AM   #11
kkot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Milton Friedman, is that you?

*ahem* More seriously, as the developer of an add-on manager I am not in favour of any aspect of this proposal. I am not in favour of putting any kind of rewards programme in place. Rewards programmes are exploitative - they are a thinly-veiled attempt to create a monopoly. The most-downloaded add-on on WoWI (Leatrix) is now abandoned I would assume for this exact reason.

I am also not in favour of introducing download restrictions for free users as a means to recoup expenses or requiring users of third-party managers to log in, which is more than likely to backfire with WoWI’s current hold over the ‘market’.

The way *I* drive traffic back to WoWI is by limiting the amount of information presented in the catalogue and by linking back to WoWI. If users want to see what an add-on looks like or view add-ons created by the same author or discover add-ons in a category or interact with the author, they have to visit WoWI. My add-on manager also accepts WoWI URLs so that users are not obligated to use my catalogue; they can browse WoWI like they normally would.

I have obviously no idea what WoWI’s costs look like and I’m not in a position to assess whether third-party managers pose an actual threat. If real, such a threat should not be countered in a way that is sure to drive WoWI’s remaining user base away.

P.S. Third-party add-on managers are not ‘scraping’ WoWI. They are using the undocumented MMOUI API used by Minion.

Last edited by kkot : 10-21-20 at 07:48 AM.