View Single Post
08-15-10, 09:51 AM   #10
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Now that I have slept -

When you install into Program Files (or Program files (x86)) in Vista or 7, it requires Admin privileges to write to that folder. This is fine - you don't need to write your WTF folder there.

Vista and 7 both use a virtualization system that says, "Okay, no admin privilege, and I have to write to a protected area - so it's being redirected to another folder". You can only write to these protected folders if you turn virutalization off for that program AND give your useraccount write-access to the folder.

This is the one that ShetiPhan mentioned - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ - and then in subfolders from there. It'd look like WoW or World of Warcraft\WTF\ and the usual mess, I believe.

So all of the WTF and other folders are actually there when you don't run as Admin.

I get around this by keeping WoW installed in an area that's not protected under virtualization - C:\WoW, for example.

Folders protected under Virtualization are Program Files, Program Files (x86), and the main Windows folder - and their subfolders, of course.

EDIT:
Oh, and when you moved it to your Documents folder - it ignored virtualization, and wrote in the default folder, because "Documents" is in C:\Users, which isn't protected.