View Single Post
07-21-14, 11:05 AM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
After re-launching the app it found WoW, but took about 5 minutes to scan my installed addons. The Curse Client takes about 5-10 seconds to do the same thing, so I guess there's still some optimization to be done here.
The first time during AddOn detection it will take a little time to match everything up. If you re-launch Minion after that it will only take a few seconds.

More tiny text, okay, I expected that. It's also oddly fuzzy, like I'm looking at a medium-quality JPEG image instead of actual text. See attachment.
What resolution are you running on your desktop? The text doesn't seem that tiny to me running a 27" monitor at 1920x1200?

Version boxes aren't wide enough to show long version strings (eg. Git hashes). There's definitely room in the UI to make these boxes (and everything else) a lot bigger. Please do that so I can see all the things.
That is a good idea however there are tooltips if you hover over the version numbers for now. I understand that its nicer to see the entire version string though. Some of the version strings are insanely long but we should be able to accommodate the majority of them.

Scrolling through the list of my installed is fairly laggy, and the response time seems variable, producing a rather disorienting effect. My GTX 750 Ti is more than capable of handling a simple scroll box, so I'm guessing this is just another area that's not optimized yet, or possibly a limitation of whatever GUI framework you're using.
How many AddOns do you have installed? I see you have 80 AddOns listed as needing updates so I'm wondering if its laggy because of that? Is the Addon list under the "Find more" tab laggy as well? If not that would maybe point to something in the update cell UI causing the lag.

Development copies (anything with .svn or .git folder inside, or wowi:revision keyword in the TOC, and probably the Curse TOC keywords too, and possibly any addons where the currently logged-in user is listed as an author) should be ignored. All of my own addons are being shown as having updates available.
I agree and we have a user story for this and it should eventually get into one of our sprints.

Other incorrect version detections:
Thank you for this list. I will go over it in detail. Just one thing to keep in mind is that Minion only sees if the version number is different and if so it wants to update the AddOn so it can make sure you have the same version that is on our site. From then on it will keep track of updates as expected. We can certainly make this better when the version numbers are simple int's but when authors start mixing alpha into their versions Minion will only be able to tell if its different. Thats one of the reasons we display both numbers.

On the plus side, actually updating individual addons seemed to be noticably faster than in the Curse Client, so there's that! And I found that a couple of my WoWI-only addons were out of date, so those are now up to date.
Glad that went quickly for you. Minion uses our CDN so AddOns are downloaded from a server closest to you.

Edit:
Speaking of fuzzy images, are you guys ever going to fix whatever your server is doing to uploaded images to reduce quality and increase filesize? I reported it years ago, and bumped it at least once, but nodoby ever responded, but I just noticed it again with the screenshot I attached.
This is something in the core vBulletin system causing this. I don't believe its happening to our Addon images if you view them raw?