View Single Post
10-14-14, 03:29 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't use compilations myself, but I do occasionally browse the categories for UI screenshots, and I agree that the current categorization system is pretty useless for compilations, and that the "graphical" and "minimalistic" categories need some kind of official definition.

I'd also suggest getting rid of some of the categories. For example, I think "suites" was meant to encompass things like RothUI where the compilation creator is also the author of most/all of the addons/code in the compilation, but from an end user's perspective this is totally irrelevant, and such compilations should be put in the category that actually describes their appearance or function. Apart from class- and role-specific categories, I don't see a need for anything other than "Graphical", "Minimalistic", and "Generic" though I might change the "Generic" name to something with a less derogatory undertone. The "Guild" category is pretty much pointless -- if your guild really needs to require specific addons, it should just point its members to those specific addons, and if your guild compliation has custom code just for you guild, it should probably not be posted on a public addon site.

And finally, while I doubt the current system supports it, I think the non-class/role categories should be mutually exclusive with each other, and the class/role categories should be mutually exclusive within their groups. If your compilation is for healers and tanks, it's not role-specific. If it's for rogues, mages, paladins, and druids, it's not class-specific.

Last edited by Phanx : 10-14-14 at 03:31 AM.