View Single Post
04-17-09, 07:20 PM   #1
Falter
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Updaters and Such

TL;DR
I guess I'm venting, but I'm not upset about being forced to "do the right thing" by the mod sites. I just wish WoWI had put me in a position to continue to actively enjoy its site by giving me a better alternative than manual updating before blocking updaters as now I feel like the Curse updater is my best option for keeping mods up to date for raiding.

Now, my version of Pink Floyd's "The Wall"...

Personally, between Curse and WoWI, I'll take WoWI any day.

I respect the work of the mod authors that seem to be more active here than Curse, like Tekkub, Aezay, Mikord, etc. I also enjoy the look and feel of WoWI way more than Curse.

I used to come to the site for a couple of reasons:

1 - To see what people more talented than myself were cooking up
2 - To support this site and hopefully thereby, people from #1

But I also used updaters because they make managing my mods ... bearable.

Yeah, I almost said manageable. I had hoped by actively visiting the site (and not blocking ads) that it made up for mooching with updaters. Further, I would gladly have used a WoWI updater if there had been one worth using. I would even pay a monthly subscription to cover the bandwidth (all 10 Megs or less of it) I use each month to update my mods.

But neither of those were ever made options available to me.

Now, maybe this site is just meant to be for mod authors to have a community to share their work in which case good riddance to the leeches like myself. But if that isn't the case (and the Donation links tell me it isn't) and normal users count for something in the business model of this site, then I think WoWI has made a fairly poor move by blocking updaters without having one of their own to replace it.

At this point, I feel like I'm being pushed to Curse because WoWI has no updated updater it would seem, but Curse does. I suspect I'm not the only one. 80% of the people I have raided with are barely capable enough to get an addon installed in the first place, let alone update one manually.

Peace.

Last edited by Falter : 04-17-09 at 07:22 PM. Reason: TLDR ended up making a smiley? : /