View Single Post
08-19-09, 08:51 PM   #1623
DonCorneo
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Gamoin View Post
Finally, i'm registered I've waded through the 23 page discussion and it seems to me it could be summed up to this:

1) People using WM have no right to complain to WOWI/Curse. WM was using their resources in a way that had created problems for the sites and there is no way that can be justified. You can like it or not, it doesn't matter, there is no reason these sites need to let that kind of service operating, or for that matter, any kind of service. If you think about it, it is free (in a sense you don't pay your money, you haven't agreed to Terms of use, etc etc) so if they choose, they can let you download a limited amount of addons. Or maybe just one It would be a suicide but they could do it and there's nothing obligating them no to do it. If there's anyone you can complain to is to WM, it's their service that isn't working, not these 2 sites

2) Counting the number of clicks, saying that the users are lazy etc etc... that doesn't matter. Some of you are proud that you have eg 50+ addons and are able to update them manually. Bravo I say, well done. It doesn't matter and no one cares. People like and use WM because it's simple and fast. You can like it or not, id doesn't matter, but the only way to "fight" WM is either to incorporate them (which i know was tried, but i wanted to mention it since i'm summing everything up ) or to offer a service similar to their (i'd say the same but that would require the sites to work together which is also hard to achieve between the competition). No amount of self righteousness from some of the members on this forum (and not the admins, you are ok ) will change that fact. Everything else is just closing your eyes to reality, which is ok if that's the way you like it... but it doesn't mean or change a thing

Though WoWI may have tried to work something out with WoWM, Curse did not. Curse made demands and threats (this is giving all sides the benefit of doubt, or a grain of truth, as you feel fit to see it).
WoWI was shoved between a rock and a hard place. A decision was made where it was believed to best benefit the gaming community. WoWI did not chose to do this, but had little choice. WoWI would have "tolerated" WoWM until Minion had "matured", but was not allowed this option by Curse. Curse was ready to launch its Premium service and didn't care that WoWI was going to get flamed for not having a updater ready for immediate release. All Curse cared about was that it would not be able to "sell" its Premium service as long as WoWM was still working as it was before being blocked.

Curse and WoWI had every right to do what they did. If WoWM had responded to WoWI, things may have turned out differently.
WoWM has been making some attemps to clean up its act. If you believe a couple of posts, WoWM may have been able to circuvent the current block. If that is true, then by not doing it shows they are trying to be a respectful site/updater.
Everyone gave Curse a chance to clean its act up and it done so nicely. Give WoWM a chance now. And hopefully someone at WoWM reads this and contacts WoWI to see if an agreement can be worked out.
I think if WoWM and WoWI could get together, especially on the developement of Minion, WoWI would be the hands-down best addon site, which it should be just because it has some of the best people working for it.

No matter what, I hope more authors host there addons here. I'm hoping that I'll be able to download all the addons I use from here very, very soon.
Currently I use the Curse Client only to verify version, but haven't had to use it for updating. I have to manually install a few addons for the time being, but if the authors don't wind up hosting on WoWI, then I'll try to find replacements on WoWI.

And as far as the Curse protecting authors, how is setting up a program where some authors may have to pay taxes because of Curse helping the authors? Blizz does not allow authors to charge for their work, yet Curse is going to report them to the "tax man" for making popular addons? If they really cared about the authors Curse would not be looking to dump its tax obligation off onto the authors. Especially since Curse would not even exist if it wasn't for the authors.
If Curse really cared about the authors, they would take whatever salary cuts are necessary to pay those taxes instead of passing the burden onto the authors.