View Single Post
10-28-14, 10:21 AM   #19
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Based on other forum posts it sounds like support for .mp3 files has been unofficially dropped, and you should use .ogg files instead. Honestly I'm not sure why anyone is still using .mp3 files in addons, as it was pretty strongly implied years ago when they introduced .ogg support and switched all the game's own sounds over to .ogg that they were going to drop .mp3 at some point. Monkey see, monkey do, I guess.
I actually prefer mp3, unless i need more then 2 channels. Mp3 can hold album, artist, song info, store album covers. You can easily read the length of an mp3 file, and 90% of the audio players can't even play oggs properly, i look at you WMP and Winamp. Additionally it's a missconception that ogg is more compact, and has better quality compared to mp3, which is only true under 128kbps, but i mean even in 1998 i encoded mp3s with 320kbps.

Also if you do a conversion mp3 is far more superior to keep the rms volumes at higher bitrates, aka you won't loose that much of the original song.

Most likely if you don't have a proper sound system, or you just not that much a quality addict, or you don't have the ears for it, then you won't notice this.