View Single Post
05-14-09, 01:12 AM   #202
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
"Why would we not have a choice? Because other sites were going to be implementing theirs today, whether we did or not. If we didn't go ahead with ours today as well, we wouldn't be running at all today. They (WowMatrix) would have jumped from splitting their scraping of both sites to scraping only one site, our site, since they couldn't access the other one. We'd be down today, completely and totally, no one would be able to get to our site at all. How does that help anyone?"
that sounds a bit aggressive on curse's part. we're going to block wowmatrix -- here's how we're going to do it, if you're not onboard, expect to be blitzed by wowmatrix.
I'm sorry but I still interpret the passage with the bolded part important. If an addon is avaliable on both Curse and Wowinterface and Curse was unavailable where do you think someone would get that addon from?

I still believe that if Wowinterface did not put up the same block as Curse at the same time as Curse they would've been flooded with extra download requests and scrapping from wow matrix for addons.

however, another way to look at it as "they got the message".
They got some kind of message but it's not the kind of message that I prefer that they see.

I would of prefered that they come to the realisation that they need to work with the addon sites instead of against the addon sites. This is from an addon author side of things , not a adddon user side of things.

If they really want to be hosting addons then they should be doing it for real - offer addon author submission tools , support forums and most importantly permission to host said addons. Instead of telling the users to pressure the addon authors to do so.

how is it "artificial"? curse gets more traffic / ad impressions even if the author is trying to force people to use curse. that's their ultimate goal as a company, no?

<snip>

do you think curse thinks of that as being "unfair" or do you think they think of it as bringing them more visitors -- and thus ad revenue?
Yeah but can't you see if they did actually support authors forcing people to use Curse then they could possibly be accused of paying addon authors to force them to come to Curse ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)