View Single Post
05-14-09, 03:39 PM   #203
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by honem View Post
I'm sorry but I still interpret the passage with the bolded part important. If an addon is avaliable on both Curse and Wowinterface and Curse was unavailable where do you think someone would get that addon from?

I still believe that if Wowinterface did not put up the same block as Curse at the same time as Curse they would've been flooded with extra download requests and scrapping from wow matrix for addons.
sure, but the timing was curse's. picking patch day to drop the bomb makes it very difficult for wowi to say no for the reasons you pointed out.

They got some kind of message but it's not the kind of message that I prefer that they see.

I would of prefered that they come to the realisation that they need to work with the addon sites instead of against the addon sites. This is from an addon author side of things , not a adddon user side of things.
i agree, but i also remember when wowmatrix first sprouted up. they introduced themselves over at wowace and got piled on pretty quickly. there wasn't constructive criticism offered, there were simply demands to quit hosting addons by individual authors.

If they really want to be hosting addons then they should be doing it for real - offer addon author submission tools , support forums and most importantly permission to host said addons. Instead of telling the users to pressure the addon authors to do so.
maybe they could do the same thing for authors that they did for users -- provide a single tool that *uploads* to all the various sites and checks the different pages for bug reports.

but i don't really want another hosting site with its own ticket system, comments section, and support forum. i suspect most authors feel the same way.

Yeah but can't you see if they did actually support authors forcing people to use Curse then they could possibly be accused of paying addon authors to force them to come to Curse ?
not a chance. if i choose to upload only to curse, i'm not breaking the addon policy. so how would encouraging people to do something that doesn't break the policy be itself breaking the policy? since curse and wowi both have premium services and wowmatrix doesn't, would encouraging people to not host at wowmatrix be an infringement of the policy?

edit: btw, poking around the net i learned that zam sued (or is suing) curse for copyright infringement, demanding $1mil. not sure if it was a friendly lawsuit or not. i couldn't read up on any details but i'm guessing it's related to the remarkable similarities between wowdb and wowhead.

Last edited by lilsparky : 05-14-09 at 03:59 PM.