View Single Post
05-10-09, 03:29 PM   #119
rdsully
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
i was clear to say that i didn't think they should feel obliged to make it easy for wowmatrix, but it as it relates to the specifics of the wowm faq it makes perfect sense. i mean how much extra data is churned by the process of wowmatrix having to scrape through pages trying to get at the zip file? i suspect it's not insignificant.
Somewhere it was said that bandwidth on curse went down by almost 50% and WoWI went down by almost 30%. That's a lot of bandwidth being used to generate ad revenue for WM, while using the resources of Curse/WoWI.

the bandwidth criticism is absolutely valid, tho wowm says they tried to address this. could be a load, of course, but curse at least says they paid lip service to the idea of paying, so the question becomes a matter of how much they were offering.
WoWI has stated that WM never talked to them at all about it, or anything else. Somewhere (probably on the Curse forums, I think I read the offer was less than 5% of the cost of the bandwidth being used by WM).

but nobody wants wowmatrix to actually have forums or pages for questions and bug reports. hell, i find two is too many, honestly. i'd rather have a single place where i address issues and keep people informed of planned updates and known issues. why create an additional location to have to check periodically and duplicate effort to keep updated? wowmatrix was designed as a delivery tool. all the other stuff is already handled very well by other sites.
Except that they are delivering out of date versions of mods and editing mods, all of which generate tons of bug reports for authors that have already been fixed in current versions. While the users might go to Curse or WoWI to report the bugs, they didn't get the mod from there, but got it from WM, creating a lot of wasted effort by the authors that take up time that could be used making improvements or updates.