View Single Post
02-08-07, 02:14 PM   #35
TigerHeart
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Olnir Orcsplitter
Sorry, Joy... had not finished. First time I have posted links on this site. WHen I looked at the preview it only had the coding... hehe. FAST response... I like this more and more every time I deal with Mazzle. To me it has (a) a cleaner look with very easy to read text, (b) the less memory intensive the addon (especially if accomplishing the same thing as a more memory intensive one) the better and (c) it has a full explaination (via the readme file [comprehensive and professional]) of all of the abilities, settings, etc. Just give it a shot... I couldn't hardly live without SCTD when it was released until a month ago. Miks was added into my compilation I usually used and I just cannot go back to SCTD.

Actually Olnir, SCTD is much better, in terms of memory use/optimizations then MSCT ever could be in its current state. The reason for this, is SCTD does not actually do any parsing of combat logs or such on it's own! Pretty much all combat log parsing in the entire UI is done through a library known as ParserLib. This alone helps reduce overhead, memory consumption, and is way more efficient. The point of it, is it is able to 'parse' once, and use a dozen or more times.

By introducing MSCT instead, we are now parsing every single combat event a second time, which takes time, and memory. Parsing the combat log is not nearly as simple as registering an event and you are done... it takes specialized regular expressions, which have a very high impact on both garbage creation, as well as performance. The less of these you use, the better. While it may be better all on its lonesome, when dealing with a whole bunch of mods at once, SCTD is actually better then MSCT, because the only added overhead now, is actually displaying the messages received onto the screen.

One thing you may find, is everyone will always claim their product is 'new and improved', or 'more efficient'... but the questions to ask are:
Newer then what?
Improved over what?
More efficient then what?

Without specifics, these are just empty claims, tailored to get people to try their product.

Like I said, I'm not saying that MSCT is necessarily bad, but in terms of a UI compilation, it is simply not as good as using ParserLib based AddOns.

Of course, you are welcome to delete SCTD, download MSCT, and go on your own. That's one of the nice things about the UI, if there's something you don't like, simply delete it. Generally speaking, it is not going to break anything if you do (aside from the core libraries and the Mazzle mods). The only side effect you may witness, is if Mazzle uses it in a core routine (such as say, deleting one of the few existing discord mods, or perhaps one of the mods used to set an Efficiency Mode), then you may have issues.

If you read through the FAQ's and such, you will also see MazzleUI generally works very well with your own mods as well. Think there's something missing you really need? (Such as say... GuildEventManager?) Well, simply add it in! There's nothing saying you cannot add your own mods, in fact, Mazzle mentions in the FAQ's that the UI works just fine with most other mods out there! The fact is, GEM is simply not a thing that is even remotely required in all guilds, and if we start just blindly adding in new mods with extremely broad and limited uses (e.g. like GEM, which not all guilds use), then we start moving away from the comprehensive and 'easy to use' package that the aim here is.

That said, if you do decide to change the package somehow, by removing things, then please try to solve it on your own if something breaks. Mazzle has much more important issues to try to solve, such as fixing core bugs in the base release, so we can get yet another wonderful new version.

-TigerHeart