View Single Post
07-11-10, 09:45 AM   #64
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Aarokh View Post
So, you are upset about him spamming things which were public through the internet already? (Facebook for example?) It's not a fine thing to do and he certainly is a jerk but on the one hand people are crying bloody murder over the realID thing, on the other hand are giving out all of their personal details on facebook. Sounds like hypocrisy to me.
The distinction you should be looking at here is Control.

If I post something on Facebook, Myspace, Twitter etc etc I can directly control who sees my information and who does not.

You can not do that for RealID's friends of friends feature. It's also right there in the battle.net terms of use - your friends list will also be shared with your friends and the only form of control is to stop using the service and deleting all your Real ID friends.

Facebook has pretty detailed graduated privacy controls. I can for example block one particular user from seeing any of my photos or just one photo album or even just one photo. These privacy controls work on any of your pages. It's possible to lock it down so friends of one of your friends don't see anything. Myspace and twitter has similar functionality through their private profiles - if I'm not on your friends list you can't see anything. Even if you are friends with someone on my friends list.

You can't do that with RealID.

There is no privacy controls. You see all your friend's friends and you don't have the option of stopping them from doing so.
Sorry but this is double morale to me. If you don't post your phone number on Twitter, Facebook, vz.net (german) or other sites then people won't get your phone number in WoW through the RealID either.. I checked with various search sites like pipl and so on and There wasn't one match in the results. (there actually were like 6 Matches, all from people in the USA, I live outside of the US and I wasn't among the results.)
Paid search engines can get a whole lot more information.
With a name and surname alone there's still enough protection for your privacy.
Unless of course you have a unique enough name that all information on the internet is directly related to you.

All we're really asking for with Real ID is the ability to define privacy controls on it. Until then many people won't use it because even just a name and surname is personal information enough.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 07-11-10 at 09:48 AM.