View Single Post
05-19-09, 08:36 AM   #220
Gruffness
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
other updaters... irrelevant, other updaters are not the topic of discussion, atm.
As for how they started, yeah, they took addons without asking FIRST, then say 'hi everyone, I rep wowmatrix and thought I'd drop in to say thanks for the addons I'm redistributing". Asking first might have brought a much better result... but since they didn't ask, they were treated as anyone else would have been treated, under the same circumstances. Oh well.

if it looks like a creep, and acts like a creep.... what exactly would you call it? A geat addition? No, I don't see how you could, unless the creep was you or your family, or both (and I'm not saying anything about -your- family, or you... just a general analogy). As said before, ask first, otherwise it's theft... plain and simple. Argue all the hell you want, that is what it boils down to.
Disclaimer: The following is an opinion based message regarding my personal views.

They didn't get a clue back then and they apparently don't have a clue now. They still appear to be acting like creeps. The first reaction to Wowmatrix seems to be a valid one.

Having a good sense of ethics when developing a business is a must in modern times. If you treat others poorly and without respect, you will be treated poorly, do poorly and lack respect in return. This does, by no means, mean that everyone starts out with good ethics or ends with good ethics. Businesses are run by people who can make mistakes. The smart people and businesses learn from them. Continuing to follow poor ethics and bad practice can only lead to disaster.

Think of it as being environmentally responsible. The Internet can be a complex environment. Cheating your way through it is akin to leaving your trash everywhere you go, except that it all has your name on it.

Sadly, Wowmatrix could have done what WoWI is doing now with their new updater, made it into something that's beneficial to all who use it, not just Wowmatrix. Instead, they decided to take what wasn't given to them. You can't take respect (although you can try to fake it with fear tactics and plain ol' hogwash), you have to earn it.

Modifying game files (settings) without the user's knowledge or permission is totally wrong, if not criminal (akin to trojan-like behavior).

Then again, this is probably why Blizzard™ says to disable all add-ons to fix problems. This means they don't have to figure out who did what. Although changing game settings still could, in theory, cause problems beyond the add-ons themselves by interfering with the normal or expected operation of the game.

I wonder what Blizzard™ thinks of Wowmatrix and their business ethics...

Note: True respect is given freely as a tribute to greatness in whatever manner one perceives it, not by force, fear or lies. False respect can brutally turn against those who seek it in the first place. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, as the saying goes. No one likes being made a fool. Second chances can be tough (depending on the reason for it) and are usually scrutinized very closely.

Last edited by Gruffness : 05-19-09 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Bad cut and paste editing, bad!