Thread: oUF performance
View Single Post
09-28-18, 02:54 AM   #8
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Blooblahguy View Post
So i was actually wrong on part of this. I thought I had disabled blizzard nameplates and relogged and was still able to use my oUF layout but I must not have relogged or something. This definitely does not work. However, when tracking frames functions and addon cpu usage blizzard nameplates are still clocking in really high, and I think that the handle blizzard function inside of oUF may be missing something when it disables these frames, I'll investigate more this weekend. This happens a lot more with CompactRaidFrames, which definitely can be disabled without breaking raid frame layouts. Note that this is different from the RaidUI addon, which let's players place markers and whatnot. To me it seems reasonable to disable CombatRaidFrames when a raid layout is initialized, but if you feel that is overstepping then I can understand that.

I'll try and get more profiling numbers this weekend and really dig into some of the FPS problems people are reporting to me.
Regarding this one.

Dunno if you're talking about compact raid frames themselves, or various CompactUnitFrame_* functions, if it's the latter, then their high usage numbers often come from Blizz nameplates. Blizz nameplates reuse a lot of their compact unit frame code.

Nameplates or their driver will clock high regardless because they're implemented in Lua now, we do disable nameplate health, cast, etc bars, but we don't stop Blizz nameplate driver from doing its job because it's a risky thing to do, I even left a comment in our code that explains the reason why we do it:

Lua Code:
  1. -- Because there's no way to prevent nameplate settings updates without tainting UI,
  2. -- and because forbidden nameplates exist, we have to allow default nameplate
  3. -- driver to create, update, and remove Blizz nameplates.
  4. -- Disable only not forbidden nameplates.

On a side note, I'll be adding a way to nuke compact raid frames w/o disabling Blizz raid addons, I'll also rework how we disable arena frames, as I said earlier, the way we do it now is a kinda iffy.

Last edited by lightspark : 09-28-18 at 03:09 AM.