View Single Post
05-22-10, 11:41 AM   #21
Principatus
A Kobold Labourer
I think none of the concerns regarding RealID & anonymity sounds like a problem at all.

RealID, from what I understand, is a fully optional service available to everyone, but cannot be abused in any way without the player in question knowing about it.

First of all, you need to know the Battle.Net username of your RealID friend, which people don't give out to just anyone (if they do, then that's their problem & irrelevant to us).
Secondly, if you use a good password & change it regularly, giving out your Battle.Net username does not at all make it easier for people to crack into your account. Forum accounts are a good example; most people (who just can't be bothered with an extra e-mail for the B.Net service, myself included) use their Battle.Net address as their e-mail address as well. Though my BNet username & e-mail are the same, I do not use the same password on both.
However, it is still stupidly easy to learn Battle.Net usernames simply by hacking into accounts in a forum (this one, for instance) & look at the private details. That, however, doesn't mean they'll get into your BNet account (unless you're stupid & use the same password on that forum as you do for your BNet). And that's been true for me ever since my BNet was created, and my e-mail address is widely known to not only my friends, but everyone who vists the places I usually hang about online.

As long as you know how to browse the Internet, chances are you're more likely to be keylogged than anyone ever guessing your password.

Thirdly, I do believe Blizzard stated that you would be able to choose an "Appearance" (i.e nickname) when setting up your RealID, which must be manually enabled in your Battle.Net.
But don't quote me on that.

But ultimately, only people you trust (real life friends, most likely - or family) should be added to your RealID; anything else would just be silly.

Last edited by Principatus : 05-22-10 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Reworded something for clarification.